Originally, this was to be a blog about my preparations to enter the TGO Challenge in 2012. For a variety of reasons that didn't happen, so this has now become the repository for my outdoor musings.


Saturday 23 October 2010

Synchronicity.

Synchronicity is defined as the experience of two or more events that are apparently causally unrelated but which occur together in a meaningful manner.

It was synchronicity that came to my mind recently. In the October 2010 copy of TGO I had received the entry form for the TGO Challenge 2011. A few days later I came across a copy Scottish Hill Tracks by the Scottish Rights of Way Society in a small, secondhand bookshop. Whilst browsing backbackinglight.co.uk I followed the link to their podcast section where I came across seven podcasts covering the 2010 Challenge (which were fascinating, I might add!) If that wasn't enough, I've just booked a cottage on the shores of Loch Sunart in western Scotland for a week in January, which has had me spreading out OS maps of the area left, right and centre. Oh yeah, and I really fancy having an exciting, outdoorsy challenge to look forward to!

Sadly, I don't think I'm suitably tuned up for TGOC 2011 so I'm setting my sights on 2012. That should give enough to get fit, get kit and get some practice in!

It looks like I may not be alone in this endeavour. Speaking to long-time mate and fellow Spa2Summiteer, Pete Bod, about TGOC2012, resulted in some lively discussion about kit, logistics, skills & fitness, and the growing of the team by 100%! It also seemed likely that Mr. Chris Smith (again mate, Spa2Summiteer and lover of the outdoors) might be up for the jaunt. A lengthy email, giving details of the event and the expected skills and experience, resulted in a succinct reply: "I'm in! C." Now we are three.

So, over the next twenty months we have a lot to do. I will do my best to keep this blog up-to-date, detailing the training we're doing, the kit decisions we make, the routes we're considering, the logistical headaches we encounter, our thoughts and emotions as the day draws near and anything else that seems relevant. Please keep checking back, and if you are able to offer any advice or hard-earned knowledge then please feel free to do so!

2 comments:

  1. I originally applied for the 2009 challenge but missed out on the draw.

    I glad I did as it allowed me more time to plan a route and also get fitter, I made the draw for this year and fund a couple of the days tough, so I was glad I had the extra fitness.

    I am missing next years but hope to go again in 2012.

    Regards

    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George

    I enjoyed reading your diary of 2010, I thought it was a very honest account of the ups and downs of this sort of event. It was one of the things that tipped me over the edge, to set my sights on 2012! Hopefully see you there!

    Ken

    ReplyDelete