Originally, this was to be a blog about my preparations to enter the TGO Challenge in 2012. For a variety of reasons that didn't happen, so this has now become the repository for my outdoor musings.


Tuesday 16 November 2010

Inspiration

For many people the idea of walking across Scotland, a land of rocky peaks, icy rivers, bogs, midges, deep-fried Mars Bars and the worst weather in Britain, is an odd one. If you tell them that you'll be carrying your clothes, food and shelter while you do it, sleeping out in all conditions, they will, in most cases, think you're the odd one. Yet every year the TGO Challenge is over-subscribed, and there are no doubt many others who wish they could do it. I guess everyone has their own reason for putting themselves through it; love of the outdoors, love of Scotland, an opportunity to push themselves, freedom from work or other responsibility, a chance to recharge, meet with friends or drink single malt. Maybe a combination of some or all of these things! I got to thinking about why I feel drawn to the challenge, and what has inspired me to gear up to do it. I realised that it's a big subject so expect a series of posts in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment